Monday 1 July 2013

I read sometimes...

Hello there! Yes as the post title suggests, this will be a review (of sorts) of the Teen/Young Adult book series by Becca Fitzpatrick which includes: 

hush, hush
crescendo
silence
finale

I must start off by saying that I did intend to blog about each book individually, however due to the fact I read them all within the space of 3 weeks there simply wasn't enough time! So I've decided to review them all in one go and (hopefully!) remain spoiler free.

If, like me, you enjoy reading books that you find in the "Teen" section even though you are well into your twenties or even thirties then you are in safe company and no judgement will come from me! I'm not ashamed to admit that I love the Twilight books by Stephanie Meyer. They opened my mind to the possibility of reading other books about all things supernatural. Prior to reading these books I was very chick-lit orientated (not going to lie, I still am...) and it was all a bit new. Well now I'm hooked. After reading Twilight I read The Hunger Games and then after that I read The Mortal Instruments and then after that I read Divergent and THEN I came across 'hush, hush' in a UK book store called "The Works" which does a deal of three books for £5 which is a bargain! 


Anyway, like I said, I bought hush, hush as a part of this deal because the image on the front really intrigued me and also it said it was a best seller so I thought "why not?"  

Basically, the story is told from Nora Grey's perspective. She is portrayed as a normal high school girl whose life is turned upside down when a boy called Patch sits next to her in Biology class. Patch is a bit of a...well...how can I put it...arrogant jerk. Nora knows he's bad news but she needs to find out more about him and can't stay away for long. Now I know for those of you who have read Twilight, you'll be thinking the same as I thought "Well this sounds familiar..." and yes, you're right. It does sound familiar, but give it a chance, keep reading and get sucked in to a world of fallen angels. It's very different; I can promise you that. 

It's a series of books filled with death, bitterness, plot twists, lust and suspense which genuinely kept me interested until the very end. Even if you're not into the whole love story which is doomed from the beginning, I would recommend reading it solely for the hilarious character that is Nora's best friend, Vee. She's curvaceous, vivacious and brilliant, which isn't a character you often see in these YA book series so I was pleasantly surprised. 

I finished the last book in the series, finale, at the weekend and it had everything you would want from a conclusion. If I could criticise anything about the novel, it would be that the ending seemed a bit rushed and a lot of information was packed in at the end but other than that it was a really good read and conclusion to the series. 

So if you're looking for something to read next or you've never ventured outside of your chick-lit comfort zone then give it a go! Even if you read the first few chapters and decide it's not for you at least you've given it a go. As for me, the next series I'll be reading will be 'The Maze Runner' series. So if you've read this or if it's on your to-read list then give me a comment! Or if you've got any other book recommendations for me then leave them in the comment section below as I'm always looking to update my library!

Much love and other things xo


No comments:

Post a Comment